Mar 1, 2018

Birds Mixed Media Accordion Mini Album Tutorial


Hi there makers!  Today I'm sharing a new mini album with you for our March challenge at Mini Album Makers.  We are thrilled to have Seth Apter sponsoring our challenge this month with a prize of one full set of his new Baked Texture Embossing Powders.  


I really wanted to use these fab new powders somehow for my mini and after much mental debate and time passing I decided to CASE one of my older projects, THIS four fold accordion cardboard mini album.  This is one of my favorite all time projects for some reason and I knew it would be the perfect substrate do play with Seth's powders.


I won't share too many step outs because this is just four pieces of cardboard tied together.  I shared more of the process on the original post HERE.  This time I tore away some of the paper to reveal the corrugate and added some French book pages to my cardboard with ModPodge.  I added lots of color with watery Distress Oxide, and went back in with PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk Acrylics (Chalk and Blue Oyster).


For my cover I layered a handmade flower from my tutorial HERE with Seth's Coffee Break die and a Spellbinders Birds on a Wire die.


I embossed Coffee Break in a verdigris powder by PSX and the birds in Seth's Deep Sea.  


I applied texture paste through the Ringer and Plus stencils by Tim Holtz then added Seth's Deep Sea embossing powder.  I stained the two bird from Tim's Feathers and Ravens die set with Antique Linen DOX and Frayed Burlap DI, then coated them with Versamark ink and Seth's Beeswax powder.  


All of the paper layers were dyed with the same inks.  I was using them for a mini album construction that went wrong, so I decided to repurpose them here.  The stamp on the paper is from PaperArtsy Eclectica³ {Seth Apter} Collection (ESA08), available at your local retailer.  The sentiment stickers are Tim's Clippings.


The circle rings are from Seth's Coffee Ring die set.


I embossed the feathers partially in verdigris and also Deep Sea.  I layered with Tim's tissue tape and Dot Fade stencil.  I embossed Seth's Dot Matrix stamp in Watering Can.  And some closeups...





And here's the back.  The 123 die is from Seth's Trifecta die set, which along with the birds dies Sara Emily let me use during our weekend creatacation.  I have been in an artist slump for a couple of weeks, but I have to say making this anything goes, slap it on kinda album was really fun and freeing.


So whatdaya think?  Is it a hot mess or artistic abandon?  Ha!  Either way, I hope you will break out your supplies and create an album of your own for our current challenge.  We have loads of tutorials that range from mixed media to traditional scrapbook style albums.  We look forward to seeing your make!






I'm also sharing with:

41 comments:

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Gorgeous creation Autumn!!Wow!! Love this so much!! I would love to try this

SD pooja said...

I loved this mini album a lot !! Right from the texture of corrugated base,the layers and colours everything looks Awesome !

Marjan said...

Love all the colours, the texture and there is so much to see! Beautiful, Autumn!

Jackie PN said...

Very cool book Autumn!
I just love those feathers- that page is my favorite! Beautifully done!
Jackie xx

Dorthe said...

Gorgeous both Autumn,
I lov e every page you created, with all the details, and lovely colors- and I just had to take a look at your fantastic flowers, too- BEAUTIFUL they are .
Thank you for showing it all , and hugs from Dorthe

Karen said...

I absolutely love this Autumn!! So pretty, my fav colors... well done girl!

Lisa said...

Wow, this is amazing, Autumn!! The texture is phenomenal!! I love the details you added and the corrugated cardboard for the base!! Absolutely stunning, my friend!! I love it!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Mac Mable said...

Stunning...Lots of fun techniques and the most glorious texture and colours. Loving the feathers, the birds and the circles. Amazing inspiration, thank you x

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing with us at CCCB!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your mini album is amazing! The colours are wonderful and I love the all the beautiful texture and layers that you created too 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊

Redanne said...

Most definitely artistic abandon Autumn, it is absolutely stunning. I am totally in love with Seth's Beeswax and also the Patina EP's and you have used the Beeswax beautifully. I love the ripped and torn papers, the beautiful feathers.... well, the whole design!! I think your mojo is definitely back on track! Hugs, Anne xx

Kate Yetter said...

Each page in your album is eye candy! I love the colors, textures and images. And those embossing powders are Amazing!
Beautiful Autumn,
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Autumn! This is such a beauty and an inspiration! I'm hoping to join in this time! Hugs,Chrisx

Teresa Kline said...

gorgeous details and texture...awesome! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

blog-paperie blooms
ig-2klines

sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Autumn, there's always so much to see on your projects! Have a very happy March, Sue xx

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Oh WOW!! this is a Symphony of texture and color!!! I admire your eye for design and color, love all the images and details.
Thank you for sharing with us at SHOPPING OUR STASH, hope you come and play along again soon.
Hugs.

Lula said...

Autumn, it is a wowser! You are a star in mini albums creating!
Love the beautiful design, the colours, textures and images.
Thanks for sharing your masterpiece with us at Try it on Tuesday this time. Lots of hugs!
Lula

Annie said...

Such a beautiful album Autumn x Love the details on every page and that bird die on the front looks fabulous xx Thank You for sharing the step by step

Hugs Annie x

Rosie said...

OMG your album is absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

froebelsternchen said...

A fantastic creation!Absolutely amazing - I am thrilled about your style Autumn! Thank you very much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday!
oxo Susi

Donna Ellis said...

Wow! Beautiful! Dropping by with heartfelt love, and thanking you for sharing your pretty artwork. Please forgive my copy and paste today. But I want you to know that I’m thinking of you with fondness. Hugs, de

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

You really do treat us Autumn with your fabulous photography showing us up close the textures and layers you achieve. A beautiful display.
Never doubt or worry yourself when your creativity vibe seems to be at a low as it's natures way of helping us renew our thoughts and ideas, everything needs a little holiday once in a while.
You are always an inspiration to me!!
Creative Hugs Tracey xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Love the gorgeous shabby look of this album Autumn, and such brilliant use of Seth's powders (can't wait to get my hands on tem). LOVE the way you have embellished all the pages too, super and inspiring, thank you!!!

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous mini album full of fabulous details. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne

Gio said...

Wow, when I saw it on the MAM blog my jaws dropped!! It's amazing, Autumn, and so the original version, these are both so inspirational: full of details, and with that gorgeous grunginess that I adore.
I hope to have the chance to play this month too!

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous mini album Autumn and I love the page you linked to TioT
Thanks for sharing.
Avril xx

Art By Wanda said...

This is really spectacular, Autumn!!!

Julie S said...

I could come back to see this over and over again. What a beautiful masterpiece!

Mimi said...

Hey, you! Saw this via Insta, and more see that you shared out at Shopping Our Stash 😀! Gorgeous... definitely artistic abandon. I'm going to just quit my job and just try all of your tutorials! You cracked me up, too, when you said, "... it's just four pieces of cardboard tied together..."-- when *you* tie cardboard together, it turns to gold! Xo

Mi Pequeño Tesoro said...

How beautifil!!! I do love it!!!

Virginia

Dotstolines said...

This is a fabulous creation:)! Love the layers:)! Thanks for playing with us at Through The Craftroom Door ATG Challenge! Looking forward to seeing you again next time and good luck!
Regards,
Sunila & Aditi- DT
Dots to Lines
https://dotstolinesblog.wordpress.com/

Marty F said...

Your album is awesome, Autumn, with so much to look at! I love your bird theme, and how you've layered your papers and added different textures everywhere. Great colors and it looks like it was so fun to make. Love this as much as the one you cased. Hugs!!

Helen Gullett said...

Beautiful accordian album!
The texture and layering work is awesome

Susan said...

This is so beautiful! I love the addition of the corrugate.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Totally awesome...I just received my Baked Texture and can't wait to try it. I love the colors you have used in this fantastic album. I've completed a cardboard tag for my grandson, but my fun textures just came a bit too late, hope to post it next week. But an album is on my list and your inspiration changed it a bit to using my stash of corrugated!!! Have a lovely weekend.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

What can I say that haven't been said before?! These pages are totally orgasmic and so so inspirational! Loving those corrugated cardboard textures! "THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING" indeed!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Autumn. I have to apologise as I feel I have neglected you. We have been away off and on since January as it's the ski season and my hubby is obsessed Lol! This project is perfection and you have really got me in the mood to join in again with these challenges. We're in France at the moment but as soon as I get back I'll be raring to get back to my desk. Thank you for such an inspiring piece and happy creative week, Angela xXx

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

What an exquisite work of art! I check out every one of your blog posts but rarely comment.. but this is just so full of detail that I have to look over and over again! I AM going to go back and look at it more carefully. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work! Marilyn

Gloria Stengel said...

I simply love this mixed media beauty! All those luscious layers and textures! This is a book the begs to be touched!! Very well done!!

Deb said...

Oh I adore this Autumn, the colours, the layers, the textures, the cardboard ... it is perfection! Thanks so much for sharing it, you never, ever fail to inspire! Deb xo

sarascloset said...

Well, it looks like I totally missed this, but so happy to see your beautiful journal featured on Seth's page! Gorgeous page after page, my friend! Hugs to you!

Popular Posts