Apr 5, 2018

Rusty Mixed Media Floral Canvas with Lindy's


I'm honored to hostess this month's challenge at A Vintage Journey where our theme is Rusty and Crusty.  "Many of us love rust and enjoy looking for new ways to get that authentic look of crusty peeling metal. For this challenge include some rust in your vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk project, whether it be the real thing, a faux technique or just a rust colour on your project."


I truly cannot remember what I was making this canvas for, but some time ago started this rusty panel in hopes of making a very "Seth Apter" style of project with some of his die cuts and stamps.  I started with a burlap 8x8 canvas and painted it with Viva Rusty Paper, then added Prima rust paste here and there.  I watered down Iced Spruce Distress Oxide and added it to give some chalkiness and darkness here and there.  Next I embossed Seth's Dot Matrix stamp in an old Cloisonne embossing powder (which had a greenish hint).  I added some flecks of watered down Vintage Photo DOX.  To me it was a dark abyss!  So there it sat for several months.  Then I had the idea to create a canvas with a ripple and flowers emerging, so I went back to work...


I'm sorry I forgot to do a process photo here, but basically across the middle I Mod Podged a piece of tissue paper, which I had scrunched up into a 1" band, across the middle of the canvas.  I dried it with a hair dryer on cool and added DecoArt crackle paste above and below the tissue.  Then I added watery gesso above and below the crackle and spritzed it with water at the edges so it would sort of dissolve outward and not leave a stark line. 


I used my heat gun when the crackle was mostly dried to dry the gesso wash.  The coolest thing happened, the embossed Dot Matrix embossing powder sort of rose through the gesso as it heated!  It gave so much gorgeous variation to the mass of white.  I brushed on the dark brown Prima rust paste along the tissue and hated it.  I trued my best to wipe it off and some of it settled in the cracks, which was a good effect.  Then I sprayed it with Lindy's Cocoa Bean Copper heavily along the tissue.  Oh my gosh!!!  What a gorgeous spray!  I followed with Tears on my Pillow Tangerine and Sandra Dee Sepia over the crackle and gessoed portions, spraying until the color was sufficiently random.  :)


I chose three rusty toned Prima flowers to emerge from this "crack" and glued them over a bed of basket filler atop an embossed doily die and filigree metal charms from The Funkie Junkie Boutique


For the doily, I first sprayed it with the Cocoa Bean Copper spray completely, then embossed in Burnt Copper Leaves and then again in Seth's new Chunky Rust Baked Texture.  Oh my gosh, I could have eaten this doily up like rusty candy!!!  Ha!


I added some "water drops" below  my flowers.


Then spent a while rummaging through an old hymnal for this beautiful snippet, which was the most favorite song in all the world of my dear late friend Florence.  Oh how special this is to me!  And very fitting for these emerging flowers...

We would love to see YOUR Rusty and Crusty creations in our link up this month, so hop on over to A Vintage Journey for inspiration overload and then get to work!  :)


I'm sharing with:

40 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

How incredible, Autumn! Your amazing textures and wonderful use of color is beautiful! I especially enjoy the sentiment. xx

Lisa said...

Oh my good golly, this is spectacular, Autumn!! Wow!! The rust is amazing!! I just want to run my fingers over the texture!! What stunning colors!! The details and dimension are so gorgeous!! I absolutely love, love this!! A work of art, my friend!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Kate Yetter said...

Gorgeous texture on this grungy piece. The flowers in the middle lend the perfect feminine touch.
Kate

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! This is stunning Autumn! I love the way the flowers simply bloom from the 'crack' in the canvas and the colours are so rich and earthy .. beautiful!! I am simply drooling over all the amazing texture .. it is awesome! Thank you for the inspiration! Have a wonderful day! hugs x

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful piece, truly gorgeous. Hugs, Valerie

Redanne said...

I just love your challenge theme Autumn, your wild idea turned into a real triumph - the rusting on this is sensational!! The band across the middle is fantastic with those gorgeous rusty roses breaking through. This is such a wonderful tribute to your dear friend... Hugs, Anne xx

ann barnes said...

What a beautiful piece Autumn! I love the idea of the flowers sprouting from a crack in a canvas! The colors are gorgeous and the textures are too! Love it

Karen Petitt said...

You know from discussions we've had before Autumn that I am not a fan of rust or grunge. However your canvas, oh my goodness, I love, love, LOVE THIS!!! It reminds me of a broken down wall with flowers growing through it, it's truly beautiful and oh do I wish I could create something similar! I will have a look through my stash to see if I can come up with something so that I enter this months challenge, after all I need to challenge myself too Karen xx

SD pooja said...

Ohh it's Awesome !!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a dream to behold Autumn, I can almost smell the aroma you get from exposed iron from your rust effect background. Perfection on a canvas and the way you have introduced your flowers gives a sign that nature will grow anywhere within gods earth. A stunning piece again.
Creative hugs being sent your way Tracey xx

Helen Gullett said...

This is so FANTASTIC and GORGEOUS, Autumn.
The texture and layering is amazing on the background.

Paper Profusion said...

Good golly Autumn you sure hit the bat outta da park! This is STUNNING!! Incredible textures and shades at play. Lovely hymnal snippet too for your late friend. I just love the names assigned to all the sprays you used. Rusty perfection. Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

Maura said...

What a stunning piece Autumn!! Love this! You have such awesome talent at layering colors and building textures into your work. I especially like how you created the drips of "water" below the flowers. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! hugs, Maura

Mia said...

Wow, Autumn. You canvas is fabulous!!!!!!! Kisses, my friend.

Astrid Maclean said...

Autumn, first of all, this was such a cool theme, thank you for that! Your rusty crusty canvas is just amazing and it was such an inspiration to read through all the ups and downs you went through to reach this fantastic result! It's like a real resurrection, so befitting to the wonderful words you added!
I am intrigued by your water droplets under the flowers, - is that hot glue? It looks fantastic! A really great project for a wonderful challenge!

Craftyfield said...

So enjoyable to read how this canvas came about, serendipity playing its part in its creation! The many textures and layers combine beautifully and I love the design. Gorgeous piece, Autumn and great challenge theme too! xx

kiwimeskreations said...

What an incredible transformation of the canvas Autumn - this is an amazing piece of art!! Love it
Blessings
Maxine

Marjan said...

From a dark abyss to this!! Wow, I really do think it's very bery beautiful!!

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - this is absolutely beautiful, Autumn - your rusty florals are simply gorgeous peeking through the rusted crack in the canvas. Amazing idea and executed perfectly.
Alison x

Dorthe said...

This is sooo stunning Autumn - oh sooooo beautiful, all that texture, of many layers, the crackle, and rust-together with the 3 flowers, kept in rusty tones ,too- pure magic, it is !!!
Hugs, Dorthe

Deb said...

What amazing textures Autumn and gorgeous rust effects, the ripple through your rusty canvas is fabulous and love how the flowers are emerging from it. Truly fabulous, thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

Seth said...

You have created the most amazing surface here. And the "hard" background with the "soft" flowers is the perfect combination.

Annie said...

wow !!! What a fantastic make Autumn x I so love your amazing background and those wonderful florals.

Will definitely be back to check it out again

TFS and hugs
Annie x

Denise van Deventer said...

The colours and the textures on the background are just so fabulous! Love, love, love this to bits...so beautiful! ;-)

A Pink said...

Speechless.... I totally LOVED your canvas when I first saw it, Autumn but after getting up close to all the rusty, crusty detail I totally LOVE it even more . Every bit of creativity is amazing! You have totally nailed your challenge and your idea!
Incredible !
Hugs x

Ellibelle said...

A stunning work of Art, loving all the details and textures, and amazing colors!

Nikki Acton said...

From your dark background (which I do love) to this amazing textured surface full of wonderful texture and tone! It is a stunner Autumn and you have adorned it beautifully... I really must find some flowers and use them sometimes!!! A stunning creation - truly xxx

Sherrie K. said...

OH my gosh, how gorgeous Autumn! I LOVE the beautiful textures and colors are amazing! The breaking down the color and mix is just fabulous!!Love the flowers...such a wonderful canvas!
Sherrie K

Marty F said...

Love this, Autumn! It was very cool to begin with, but even more so now with the flowers, art stones, basket filler and lighter colors. Oh, that rusty doily is just too cool! Great job - hugs!!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW simply fabulous ...the background is so rich and vibrant and especially love the dripping style
Cheers
Dr Sonia

sarascloset said...

First of all--very cool challenge theme! I was excited when this made it to the finals, since it was one of my suggestions! Of course! ;) :) But sad that I didn't get to play along. You know I love rust, and you have done an exceptional job of making some very believable rust on this canvas. I would like a bite of that doily, too, please! Oh, my goodness, that looks fantastic! Great idea to crack the rusty canvas open and have those flowers emerging. Have a great evening! Hugs!

Pascale B. Scrap said...

Beautiful texture! Thank you for playing with us at Lindy's Gang!

Linda Manning Findley said...

I totally agree with everyones comments but we all know you have awesome ideas and tallent running from your pores ... I have a question what are the little white ball looking things that are scattered around the flowers ... they make the perfect foil to all the rust ...

SewPaperPaint said...

Hi Linda! Thanks for your sweet comments today. The white beads are called Art Stones and are by Finnabair for Prima. They come in three sizes and these are the regular size. I just love them! I apply them by dipping a brush in matte finish Mod Podge and then dipping the wet brush into the stones and brushing here and there. Hugs my friend!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Gosh, I've missed so much in two weeks! I've always liked this rusty look and you made it look so real! Those textures are just incredible!

Sandra Wright. said...

Wow Autumn...your canvas is awesome..so much richness in textures and colours..and the flowers with their rain drops are just perfectly matched..love,love,love it...
Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge this month at Rhedd's Creative Spirit...

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

It's all been siad before me so I will just add a WOW! Thanks for joining in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this month.

Sammy said...

Oh this is a real beauty Autumn! Really love that you managed to combine rusty with pretty! Really love it! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

Carol said...

Love the textured rusty canvas and the flowers are a beautiful addition Have a lovely day x

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful canvas! I love the rust and the texture you created - amazing 😀. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a Happy Weekend! J 😊

Popular Posts